Our Mission, Goals & Priorities
The Health Policy Corporation of Iowa (HPCI) is Iowa’s business group on health. HPCI has identified two goals and is engaged in a joint initiative in Iowa to address fundamental issues in the health care system through collaborative efforts and the use of sound purchasing and quality improvements principles.
Goal 1: Employers (purchasers) receive the greatest value for dollars invested in health care in local markets and providers receive economic and other incentives to improve performance.
Goal 2: Contribute to improvements in the health of the community.
Individual employers and other purchasers use many strategies for addressing health care costs and quality on their own. HPCI adds value by helping focus attention and mobilize actions that are best done on a collective or coalition basis involving numerous employers, other purchasers and consumers across Iowa markets
PRIORITIES FOR 2016-2017
- Promote Measurement and Transparency.
Meaningful comparative performance information assists
purchasers and consumers with wise decision making. It also
is an important catalyst for needed change and improvement
in health care.
- Support public disclosure of health provider’s quality, cost, and outcomes of care.
- Sponsor the Greater Iowa Leapfrog Group Regional Rollout and Hospital Safety Scores
- Develop a new price transparency initiative.
- Support and apply national resources such as the
Consumer - Purchaser Disclosure Alliance, the Catalyst
for Payment Reform, the Business Roundtable founded
Leapfrog Group, Agency for Health Care Research and
Quality (AHRQ), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid
Services (CMS) and the National Quality Forum.
- Spearhead the Iowa Employer Group initiatives.
- Work the Iowa General Assembly, Governor’s Office, state department leaders and others on key policy issues that promote our goals and priorities.
- Empower, inform and engage consumers/employees -
- Engage employees/consumers to practice healthy lifestyle behaviors and make informed decisions.
- Partner with Consumer Reports Choosing Wisely Campaign.
- Research and report on plan design changes including HSAs, integrated benefits and value-based benefits.
- Carry-out education, research and communications.
- Publish HPCI News twelve times per year with distribution to over 400 Iowa leaders.
- Hold webinar and seminars from time to time.
- Conduct research on key health issues at the state and local levels.
- Carryout news media communications.
- Collaborate with providers, health plans,
consumer groups and purchasers.
- Engage stakeholders to develop, deploy, and execute quality-drive, value-based health care with measurement and transparency of quality, patient safety, cost, and outcomes of care.
- Encourage and recognize Lean transformation in Iowa’s health industry.
- Serve as a resource to HPCI members/investors.